Sunday, February 6, 2022

What happened to T?

 Hi.

Yes, I am still here, although it has been awhile since I have posted on this site. I am hoping to change that and get back to normal here. I genuinely appreciate those who follow and read along. I apologize for my absence to date.

Now, as a writer I know there are all types of dialects that are around the world, around our country. When one is writing, to have a believable conversation, one that sounds normal to the ear, the writer must learn to write the way people speak. No one speaks 'the King's English', not here, not almost anywhere.

Unless it is something I have just completely ignored or never actually realized, a new phenomenon has caught my ear the past few years. The letter 'T' seems to be disappearing from the spoken word. I have noted it in my personal life as well as on television. It nearly bent my ear listening to someone on a program leave it out of someone's name. Even professional speakers on local news are beginning to drop the 'T'.

How do I mean? Take the name Clayton. Many now pronounce it as Clay-un. This is just one example.

I'm sure you've heard this. It is not new. I knew someone years ago who pronounced the word 'once' as 'onest'. It was nothing that irritated me like this dropping of the 'T'. I suppose it could be cultural, however I have not narrowed it down as I think it is becoming the norm to many no matter race or cultural background.

Perhaps there will come a time where small speech patterns like this do not bother me...but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment