Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year

Welcome 2018

This past year was one of challenges, one of new experiences, one of joy and disappointment. But then, isn't every year? What changes for most of us year in and year out? Usually not too much. Most of us have the same job, love and dislike most of the same people we always have, live in the same place. What truly new challenges do most of us experience?

I begin a new year with new hope and new insights from a year ago. Last year I began 2017 with a single partner, My beloved. We had just moved into a new home began our lives were adjusting. I had just changed assignments at work and took over the challenge of rebuilding a store location that was in a shambles. It was a lot of work both home and away.

What is different this year is beginning 2018 with a second partner at home, our grandson Ragin' Cage. As 2017 began he was not part of the mix. He came to us a month later. The challenges and struggles of beginning to raise a small child at my age was not something we had planned. It was a jolt to our lives. But, it was a jolt we had to take on. For us, we wouldn't have it any other way.

The work front was another challenge. It took me away from home too often, but that is the way of things. We made tremendous strides but all we did was right the ship. This year it is time to stride forward and set ourselves to the top of the heap.

My writing stalled as a result of all the above. The one book I was able to publish, Ghost Fleet was six months later than I had originally planned. I was happy with the result however. I had put my fantasy series on the back burner to write Ghost Fleet sure that I would again pick the fantasy back up afterwards. But sometimes a writer just can't let go of the recent characters that have filled his thoughts. With that being said, I plan to put forth the third book in the sci-fi Home World series with book three, Battle Wagon. We'll see how that goes.

So what does all this mean, this new year stuff? It means several things. As fallible beings, this day gives us a chance to reset ourselves, to put the challenges behind us and to look forward. Those who truly want to make a difference in their lives will take on the coming year with excitement and dedication to change their circumstances and challenge themselves to fulfill their aspirations. What dreams did they have in the days of their youth? What dreams did they have in their early adult lives? This is the time to take stock and see where you've planted your feet. Either way, it's time to step into the new year.

One final thought.
A fellow author I've spoken of in past posts is still struggling with the determination of cancer. Things are not going well. Brandon Hale is an extremely talented author whose Day Soldiers series is well worth reading for anyone who enjoys post apocalyptic books. Myself and a group of fellow authors are putting the word out to help support him and his family in the coming days. I hope everyone who has the ability to help by purchasing any of the books of this series reaches into their hearts and wallets to help make a difference.

May everyone face the challenges and joys of the coming year with dignity and determination, joy and hope. I look forward to the coming of 2018 and all that it holds. I hope all those who follow me do as well.

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment