Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Shake it up

Times change and culture changes. There is no denying that. What we used to take for granted such as simple gestures or greetings evolve over time. Sometimes those changes can be abrupt leaving some in limbo as to how to proceed.

What the heck are you talking about Robert?

Handshakes!

Huh?

Handshakes. I grew up in a world where people shook hands. It didn't matter if you were greeting your best friend, your uncle, your aunt or the guy who carried your mail. Okay, now don't everyone get there undies in a wad since I said 'guy'. Back in the olden days women weren't 'mailmen'. Men were mailmen.

These days, I have no idea how to greet someone. Everyone seems to have a different way to do this and I have no idea who does what. Some fist bump, some hug, some shake hands and then 'bring it in', some slap hands back and forth like they're swatting at a fly and the traditional handshake is becoming a thing of the past. Now, I'm not against anyone who wants to do some of these things with people they know or who they are close to, but all these other types of contact should fall away when you are acknowledging someone you don't know very well.

I greet people routinely at my job, especially when a person is applying for a job and when I reach out to shake their hand they almost have no idea what I'm doing. I see there eyes widen and they limply reach out with a hand about as firm as a wet noodle. Sometimes it is cultural as we invite more and more people into the US from other countries. I understand their hesitancy. However the youth of this country needs to be taught again how to shake hands. It's time for the fathers of this country to undertake this challenge and bring stability back to this once, tried and true greeting.

Now, bring it in...

No comments:

Post a Comment