Friday, February 14, 2020

Coldest day

Today is supposed to be the coldest day in a year here in flyover country. Actually, the high temperature is projected to be twenty-two degrees. In my opinion that's not really all that cold as we haven't had a hard winter in the last few years. Heck, this winter we haven't even had double digits in snow and it's half way through February.

You know what us old guys say...back in my day...

The one thing that gets me every winter whether it's a real winter or just a false winter like these last couple have been is the number of people I run into that are always complaining they are cold. Well yeah, it's winter. You're going to be cold.

Hey, here's an idea; dress for the winter season with winter clothing. But Robert, we just want to be comfortable (or fashionable). Well let this old guy tell you, being cold isn't comfortable. Even in the dead of winter I see too many people walking around in the same clothes they wore during the warmer months of the year and simply toss on a coat.

That's not how it works folks. If you want to be warm in the winter you need to dress in winter appropriate clothes. That means heavier jeans, not stretchy fabrics that have no insulation to them, heavier tops, thicker socks (as I constantly see others without socks on) and, God forbid, long underwear.

I personally know no woman (that I am aware of) who wears thermal underwear beneath their clothing. I know a few men who do but even that is a rarity. For me, once it gets cold I wear thermals all winter long, indoors and out. Guess what? I'm comfortable...inside and out. On really really cold days, like back in the olden days of my youth, I may perhaps put on a sweater if I'm sitting still in a chair writing on the computer...or something like that.

So, if you're generally someone who complains they're cold and you are dressing like it is June and you have flip flops on, I don't want to hear it. At that point you simply chose to be cold.

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day...we still have four and a half weeks left of winter. Damned groundhog.

No comments:

Post a Comment