Tuesday, October 27, 2020

What's America about

 It has been some time since I've rambled on this blog, mid-summer actually, and I apologize for my absence. 

With all this election stuff pervading every nook and cranny of our lives, the thought crossed my mind today about what this country is all about and who understands it. Now, this is my belief in what we are or what we should be. Your view may be different to some extent but I'll wager they are similar enough, no matter if you call yourself a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or something else...here goes.

This country was founded on the principles of self determination. A group molds together to form a government to rule for the common good. The government is to represent and protect the interest of the people.

Self-Determination is a process that is built upon these 5 principles:
  • FREEDOM. To decide how one wants to live their life.
  • AUTHORITY. Over a targeted amount of dollars.
  • SUPPORT. To organize resources in ways that are life enhancing and meaningful to the individual.
  • RESPONSIBILITY. ...
  • CONFIRMATION.

What this government is not required to do is be the answer to everyone's personal problems in life. As you read down this list of five items, as taken from the internet, the fourth is responsibility. What is severely lacking in these times is personal responsibility. The role of the government is to provide a level playing field as best as it is able for all of its citizens. It is not to be the hand-out king to provide for every want and need of every citizen. 

 I have no issue with those who want our government to have a safety net for those who are unable to provide for themselves; the elderly, children and those who have special needs due to circumstances beyond their control such as those born with mental disabilities. The world isn't fair; life isn't fair. I face different challenges as a white male born into a lower-middle class family in the Midwest than say a Black man who was born into poverty in Detroit. He most certainly faces different challenges to get though life than I do, but I face challenges he does not. 

What I do not accept are those who point only to their circumstances as a reason for their lot in life; it's not my fault mentality. That's a cop-out. Too many people have climbed out of their holes in life to become doctors, lawyers, bankers, elected officials, scientists, et al. Being successful doesn't mean you have to become a millionaire. In my mind who is successful is someone, man or woman who has provided for their family to the best of their ability, has strived to do it the right way and can hold their head up and be proud.

Unfortunately we have fallen prey to our own elected officials who have put their self-preservation above the national interests. This election year of 2020 is proof of that to the nth degree. Now politics has always seemed to be a dirty business when you peel back the carpet and let the light of day shine. It was in the beginning of this country, and it is now. 

There is little to no bipartisan work done between parties that genuinely benefits the people of this nation. It is simply one news-tweet squabble after another plastered across whatever screen you choose to use to view it. If the 'D' party says one thing the 'R' party says the exact opposite and the fighting begins. Gone is a spirit of cooperation to resolve anything that is important. As a country, we should not be at each other's throats but at the throats of our elected officials who have put us on the back burner.

Go to the polls this coming month and vote. Vote not only for the candidate(s) you think will benefit the country as a whole but may also begin to work for us and not for themselves. At some point I was about to give up hope that I would want to vote for any of these people. But then, I looked at my grandson and knew in my heart I couldn't do that to him. He knows nothing of this but it affects his world for my world is coming to a close. 

I know who I will be voting for. I hope you do too.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, vote, but as you indicated in this piece, vote with - and for - hope, however you may define it. Yet still include yourself in that hope, for you are not yet gone and must live still with hope for all of those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. I appreciate your honest appraisals and antidotes.

    ReplyDelete