Saturday, December 10, 2022

My B-I-L

 Yesterday was a sad day for My Beloved as we laid to rest her brother Tom. It was unexpected. I am not sure actually which is worse, the unexpected death of a family member or one you know is coming. Either way, it is hard.

Tom, or Tommy as many knew him was the third of five. I had always called him Tom. "Tommy" just never rang true to me. I know that feeling having lost the same member of my clan, North of 50 nearly ten years ago.

When I joined this family thirty years ago, he was the first to shake my hand and welcome me aboard. He also told me I had better treat his little sister right or I would have to answer to him. I never forgot those words.

He was a man of many talents in including being a chef in the kitchen and an eye through the camera. He loved his cameras.

In this day and age, men are often judged by how much money they make, what kind of job they have, the car they drive and the house they live in. I have come to know through my years that this is the poorest way to judge a man or any person. You judge a man by his heart, his character, his kindness toward others and how he treats and loves his family. I rarely heard a cross word from him regarding others. In this respect, Tom was one of the richest men I knew. He took care of his own sacrificing his own interests for those he loved. I think in that way, he and North of 50 were kindred spirits.

Life is short and moves quickly the older we get. Time really does fly and at some point all we really do have are the memories.

Tom, you are a good man with a heart of gold and you will be missed my many. Say hello to Grandma for us. I know it is a hug you have wished for for some time.

4 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sentiments! This is Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like he was a wonderful man. You’ve given those of us who didn’t know him something to reflect upon, Bob. — Cousin Linda

    ReplyDelete