Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Open mouth, insert 3M

I have noticed over time how the culture has changed from generation to generation. Now I'm sure our parents said the same thing as I grew older and took my place in the world. But I think as we grow older we morph into our parents, we often take on their mannerisms and thought processes, retain many of the values that they held and to some extent become them to a degree.

But generations do change and social habits evolve for good or bad. One bad change is a lack of a filtering process when in public. I was in the hallway of a hospital today to visit my daughter. I was reading something on a bulletin board across from an occupied restroom when a girl walked past. She was either late teens or early twenties and on seeing the door to the restroom closed she blurted out "where am I supposed to poop?" Thanks for sharing but that's something I really didn't want to know.

I am by no means a prude or one to cringe at the mention of bodily functions but this young lady obviously has no personal filter between her brain and her mouth. I don't want to know everything everyone around me is thinking or feeling. As I work with the public I notice this on a regular basis hearing personal comments that have no need to be expressed in public. It's called 'keeping it internal' and 'manners' and it makes for a nicer world all around.

They are running tests on my daughter and she should be released within a day or so. And for the record, if I'm ever in the hospital I want the bed closest to the window. I want light and lots of it. I am a creature of the light. When it's time to turn off the lights I want to sleep looking out on the lights of the city not drawn behind a curtain in a death pall. The inner bed is so depressing.

5 comments:

  1. Did she really say the "p" word? Or was it really the "s" word?

    And, for the record, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to let us know when the results come in - we care about your daughter!
    I said "shut-up" to the 7th grade class today - then had to apologize. I was trying to demonstrate a stretch and after about the 5th interuuption I lost it. More than 5 minutes just to show them how to do one stretch! They need those filters and to know when it's appropriate to talk and not to talk! Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My personal hated word is "sucks" - I have visions of Sainted Mother and Father trying to wash out our mouth just for thinking it. I am the word police and they don't get to say it on campus! It's a bad word even if it is in common and excessive usage today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never have been a fan of that word, either. Of course, most slang and/or swear words are really nothing more than a lack of imagination and creativity, as well as laziness and crudity, with the intent to shock.

    ReplyDelete