Friday, December 11, 2009

A Yule Log

It is that time of year most of us love and love to hate; Christmas season is here! We think back to a time in our youths when Christmas was the most important thing. Although it was often cold outside snow eased the pain and chill. Decorations were aplenty everywhere you looked inside and out. The anticipation of presents was more than most of us could bare. And as we grow older things change.

I remember taking trips to see the lights around the city. Beloved Father would pile us in the '64 Chevy wagon and off we'd go. At that age we couldn't understand why people didn't put up decorations. I know now. It consumes the better part of the day, a precious day off from work taken up by what became a chore. Several years ago I gave up putting lights on the roof and found it is a much more enjoyable experience keeping them low. Simple and classic is a much more pleasing than gaudy and gregarious displays of blazing light. I remember back in the days of the 'energy crisis' there were many who went sans decor to save energy and it took several years to get back into the festivities for many. Christmas lights make everyone's street look better.

Our tree is our centerpiece. My Beloved and I invested in a ten-footer many years ago and it's beautiful when decorated. Ragin' Cage saw it, his first Christmas tree last week. It isn't difficult to make an eight month old's eyes go wide and his did as he saw it lit. I never saw the light of Christmas through my child's eyes. I look forward to seeing Christmas through the eyes of my grandson as he gets older. Christmas is for everyone, presents are for the children with tales of Santa and reindeer. If done properly the deeper meaning will come when it is time.

The season is filled with song and merriment. That being said there are several seasonal songs I can do without. The Christmas Shoes for one is too sad to hear in this season. I immediately turn it off. Nearly anything by Manheim Steamroller, something about the style just isn't for me. There is another song I hear each year that has something to do with a guy meeting an old girlfriend in a grocery store. It mentions the word Christmas once. I dislike it so much I didn't have the interest to look it up and see what it's called. And the 'feed the world song', there is no snow in Africa this Christmas. Well, there's no snow in Guam either, go figure! Lastly, I am so on the fence about the Charlie Brown Christmas song I have never made up my mind if I like it or hate it. My favorite is 'O Holy Night' with two current versions (Josh Groban and Celine Dion). It is the most beautiful song I know for the season.

I don't usually want much for Christmas. I have just about everything I could want. My Beloved and my family count for nearly everything. This year my list will include; peace on Earth, yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever: snow on Christmas day, watching the kids open presents, an Andrea Bocelli CD, warm socks and a nice bottle of 80 proof bourbon. Nothin' says Merry Christmas as well as being toasty inside.

I hope everyone enjoys the season. My favorite day, Christmas Eve is soon approaching. On that night, everything is ready and you can feel the anticipation in the air. Santa's coming.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

3 comments:

  1. The wait is more than we can BEAR, as well.

    I am a big fan of Mannheim Steamroller, however. Their versions of most songs now are the gold standard for me. We saw them in concert two years ago; wonderful.

    O Holy Night is, like yours, my mostest favoritestest Christmas carol. My definition of Christmas "carol" is a religious song; the others are Christmas songs, nice as they are.

    I agree with the sentiment about the Christmas Shoes song, but I do like the Charlie Brown song. My list of "banned", uhh... please do not ever play these songs agin thank you very much includes "I Heard Three Ships", "Santa Baby", and Bruce Springstein's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", to name a few.

    An absolute side-splitter for me is the "Porky Pig" version of "Blue Christmas", a song I otherwise detest.

    The other one you mention as disliking might be Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne". I'll add that to my banned list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and a subscription to National Geographic. And no, not for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth. The video on utube is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete