Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I'll try harder

This is something I don't think I quite understand. It's about those who sign contracts, specifically athletes. There is a story in the sports world currently concerning a runningback for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL. He was the leading rusher in the league last year. He has two years left on a multi-million dollar deal he signed a couple of years ago. Now he want to renegotiate his deal.

On the surface that sounds okay. He is a valuable member of the team and as a rule, they aren't very good. They need him. From the owner's point of view, you signed the contract. He didn't put a gun to your head to do so. The life of an NFLer is not very long. The average player is out of the league in approximately two and a half  years. That's not very long and the window to make significant money doesn't happen often. I don't blame them for the 'get it while you can' mentality.

What I don't understand is when they use the phrase, "out-played the contract". How is that possible? Does that mean if I only gain 1000 yards I get the full contract payment? What happens if I get 2000 yards? Do I now get double the contract? If that were the case, if you only gained 500 yards, shouldn't you give some of it back? Obviously you weren't trying if that were the case.

No, the contract is the contract and just because you had a stellar year doesn't mean you outplayed the contract because you are supposed to give 100 percent effort. Any less and you didn't live up to the contract. Run like you mean it and if you have another outstanding year you can take that into the negotiations the next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment