Sunday, August 26, 2012

Something about nothing

Jerry Seinfeld famously said his idea for his long-running television show was "it's a show about nothing".

In honor of Jerry's show, and the fact that it has been over a month since I last posted a column on here, I present my blogpost about nothing:

- Sainted Mother threw out my baseball and football card collection when I went away to college. I was 75 miles away, and came back for a weekend visit to find my cards had been pitched. What, she never expected me to return? I always hoped one day I would discover one certain card at a card show, one on which I had printed a word in the margin on the back, and thus let my mother partially off the hook for my not achieving immense riches via my collection. Not that I would ever have sold them, unless really, really desperate.

- When I was attending morning classes at The OSU the first winter I was there, I had an 8:00 class that met in Denney Hall, where my counselor worked. I always arrived quite early, thanks to the bus system, and attempted to pleasure-read a book of Greek plays. I never got far into it, and usually used the book as a face cover to get in a short nap prior to the warning bell for first class. Later, after I had met my counselor for the first time, she asked about me always napping under the book. I told her it was not for class, and she was relieved.

- I had dine-in restaurant food three times in the past 24 hours; Happy Birthday to me. Burp!

-  One of my six grandchildren is about to become a baby supermodel. What a ham.

-When I graduated from The OSU, tuition was being raised from $298 per quarter to $312 per quarter. I ranted about how people could no longer afford to pay for college.

- Ahh, the quarter system, what a quaint way of holding classes. Thank heavens I did not have to spend 15 weeks in Bio100, Statistics, or Spanish101, among others. Ten weeks was more than enough.

- I currently have a runny nose, which I can't stand. (Told you this was about nothing.)

- Graybeard still has not quite grasped the concept of sending e-mails, but at least he does not give me a phone message asking if I got every one, the way he used to do. Luddites have a way with technology that is different from the rest of the world.

- He always blames it on his system. Computer people always say it is down to operator error.

- I told Robert T that I had finished three sci-fi e-books I had been sent, but that I found much of the plot to be way too unbelievable. He said, "It's science fiction. How can it be 'unbelievable'?"

- I still think I was correct.

- The Seekers were a hugely successful folk/pop singing group in the early-to-mid 60s. Many in the US thought they were British, but they actually were from Australia. The lead singer was the beautifully-voiced Judith Durham, who still sounds lovely today, at age 70.

- Target is back this year with more horrible back-to-school musical commercials. They are so bad they aren't funny/stupid, merely stupid.

- CBS seems to have a habit of putting good shows on Sunday nights at 10:00, then cancelling them after the ratings tank in the fall. Gee, do you think it may have something to do with football running way over each week (and now the afternoon games will be starting later), followed by a post-game show, followed by their insistence on showing their 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 p.m. shows in their entirety first, followed by the 10:00 show, which may start at any time between 10:00 and midnight, it seems. It means I will have to set my DVR to record The Mentalist this year with a 2-hour end-time extension. That is as far as I can extend it. I hope that is enough. CBS says they will put a crawl on the screen to tell what time the later shows will start, put it out on Twitter, and on their website. If I do not have CBS on, am not near a computer, and since I never have or will go wherever it is you go to get Twitter, I will have to hope for the best.

- Nothing more today.

No comments:

Post a Comment