Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Only what you see?

People are complex. We all run the gammet of emotions from time to time. We find ourselves in situations that often, cause a spike, so to speak. I watched one of those spikes on Sunday, after the NFC title game, and I made a judgement.

I made a snap decision on Richard Sherman, cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks. Now, I follow football, college more than the NFL, but I usually know the participants. Seattle is not a team I am all that familiar with. I watched his post-game interview and the first thought that popped into my head was, what a jackass, completely classless. Gosh, I wouldn't be that way if that were me. Unfortunately, that is the way many of us see pro athletes these days. We see a short clip of them coming off the field after they have just expended tremendous energy; they're pumped and primed and still ready for a fight, while we sit back in our soft chairs and couches without massive amounts of adrenaline pumping through our systems. Gee, I wonder why we think they're idiots?

I have come to find out that, although I believe Mr. Sherman is on some level, a self-promoting, I'm a superstar kinda guy, he is also much more than that. He is currently seeking his masters at Standford University. That deserves a great deal of respect. I couldn't even GET into Stanford even if I bribed someone. I also watched him in a brief clip later that same day in the post-game press conference. He wore a huge, gregarious smile and apologized to the reporter, Erin Andrews for his actions.

I respect that. He didn't have to do that at all. I suppose, if he was 'on my team', he would be one of those guys you laugh with and laugh at, all in good fun. We all get emotional after big events. I know I can as well, I just don't have someone sticking a microphone in my face. Perhaps, that's what makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment