Monday, July 14, 2014

Two-wheelers

Share and share alike, as the rule goes. I live in an area where cycling seems to be growing every day. Fact is, I spent many a day as a young lad rolling through the neighborhoods with my buds. The rules of the road weren't too important back then. In fact it was dangerous to ride on the city streets. There were no bike lanes or signs for cyclists back in the stone age. It sure was hard to peddle with stone tires.

But times have changed, and changed dramatically. There are bike tours throughout the city; rides that span county lines and paths carved out with tax money to join towns throughout. On the surface of that, I don't really have an issue with it all. Many cycle because it is cheap transportation. Others like the exercise. Cycling and the gear that goes along with it is big business.

So why am I writing this? Because I have a peeve about it. (Not that I gripe about much). If we are to share the road with our two-wheeled brothers and sisters, why is it that they never, ever follow the rules of the road. Riding a bicycle on city streets requires bike operators to follow the same rules of the road as the four-wheelers. Ask yourself, when was the last time you saw a cyclist stop at a stop sign? I'll tell you; never. And boy, if they get in your way when it's their fault, you get the sneer and stare. It's the, 'hey, I'm a cyclist' look.

I know you're there. I steer clear of you. Actually, I want nothing to do with you. You don't belong on busy major thoroughfares any more than a pedestrian, but since you are, why not follow the rules of the road for once. Less chance of getting killed that way.

(I'm fairly certain I'll hear from a few cyclist friends on this one).

No comments:

Post a Comment