Saturday, September 2, 2017

Captain's Journal

It has been quite some time since I have put up and excerpt from any of my books. I generally try and use this blog mostly as a place of thoughts and reactions to the world. I am however a writer and I'm giving myself permission to do it.

So, without further ado, a brief excerpt from the upcoming novel, Ghost Fleet, book two of my science fiction Home World Series.

            
          Jason Tully sat back in his cabin and just stared at the walls. He let the chair turn beneath him as he pivoted, casually examining his surroundings. He had all right to move into the ship’s Captain’s Quarters, but he chose not to. That was Joseph’s place. His own suited him well enough. The captain would return. He turned toward the panel behind and stabbed at the console.

Captain’s journal: Theta 9- 8

“My mentor has awakened and though I believe he will make a full recovery, he is not yet ready to bear the rigors of command, much less influence my decisions. I would welcome his counsel however he is not fully aware of all the details and is in no shape to undergo a briefing.”
“I look around myself and see the small quarters that holds my private world. It is spartan by nearly any measure. Others decorate with their trappings of success, awards and plaques, certificates of accomplishment. I suppose it gives them courage or comfort in an ever changing universe. This life we have chosen is difficult with no guarantee of success, no guarantee of tomorrow where each day could be one’s last.”
“I have succeeded with so much in my career, living dreams that only a young lad could dream as he looks to the stars, yet, now I am faced with decisions that no boy, even in his wildest imaginings could conceive. I once dreamed of sailing the vast oceans of Carrigeen, my home world. I would command warships that chased down pirates or even plied the seas as those same scavengers.”
“Yet even those adventures could not win my favor as I looked to the stars in the heavens. The blackness above was vast, unimaginable in its breadth and depth, filled with points of light that could never be counted though indeed I gave an effort. The wandering dreams of a child again filled with the adventures of warships, massive flying cities that protected the Home Worlds from marauding bands whose only goal was to conquer. It isn’t that simple any longer.”
“As captain of the Parras I have a duty, a single purpose. I can see only one solution to this situation. I hope it is the correct one.”
“Close journal.”

Jason slid his hand over one button laying his finger gently on its smooth surface. He paused, his mind surprisingly calm. He thought back to something his captain had said to him after they had left Tor Dunlaw;
“… and just because sometimes, you’ve got to learn on the job. It’s war, and I don’t know of another training ground quite like it.”
“Bridge.”
“Bridge aye.”
“Signal the fleet, all ships battle stations.”

No comments:

Post a Comment