Monday, March 4, 2019

Plugs that go poof

Many years ago when I was a much younger man and the age of the new-fangled kitchen gadgets started coming into play, a revolution took place with the advent of the drip coffee maker. Yes folks, I am that old that I remember when Mr. Coffee became a hit. Although I have siblings who predate those memories 😀 (you know who you are).

Back in those days there were repeated instances of these new-fangled coffee makers catching fire. I don't usually obsess about such things but it seemed like forever that I would never leave my coffee maker plugged into an outlet. I believe the one sitting on my counter now could be the first one I have ever let stayed plugged in. Golly gee, I hope I just didn't jinx myself.

So why are you telling us this wonderful and enchanting story now Robert T?

Well, the other day I was sitting at the kitchen table pounding away on the next great sci-fi novel. I usually write in my nice big chair but My Beloved was sitting there so I had to make due. As I was blazing away on the keyboard (I'm down to the last few thousand words on Battle Wagon), the tip of the plug supplying power to the computer literally started smoking. And I don't mean just a slight smell. I had a volcano of white smoke pouring from the thing.

With cat-like agility I ripped the plug from the computer and snatched the plug end out of the wall socket. The tip had melted inside the computer and I had to dig it out. It is an old computer and is (was) the original power cord. It was quite the experience. Thankfully nothing else is wrong with the laptop and it functions just fine.

And that's why I always unplugged my coffee maker.

The writing in Battle Wagon must be a smokin' hot for the laptop to catch fire...I'm just sayin'. Coming soon to an ebook retailer near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment