Saturday, August 28, 2010

Unconditional

When I started this blog I stated it would be a journey and a road of personal discovery. Although I hail from a large family and have children, my children came to me later in their lives. Be that as it may, I consider them mine in every way a father could. And they consider me to be theirs. The one aspect of their lives on which I missed out was seeing them grow from infants with all the challenges and tribulations associated with the process. My Beloved and I were never to have a child of our own. That is the way things are and I have always accepted that. She is my 'forever person'.

Until recently I was never able to understand the total relationship regarding children. My grandson is now seventeen months old. That sensation of total devotion was near immediate. The first time I held my grandson the bond for me was sealed. In his short life I have been able to nestle him while he sleeps, watch him take his first steps, comfort him when he falls and observe his forays into the unknown. And boy does he foray!

For the first time in my life I am able to observe another as all aspects of the world opens up to their eyes and watch their mind develop. I suppose this is how the world unfolded for me as I took my first steps five decades ago. When he is near, I will follow him watching him amble around and explore the unknown world. My favorite times are snatching him up and taking him outside to visit nature. I shake leaves in his face and watch him laugh then put him down as he runs across the uneven grass. With this comes a protectiveness that is primal. I know he is safer no where in the world than in my arms.

When his father comes to pick him up, he sees the red truck and squeals. He is in love with his father. I own only a piece of his heart when he yells for his paw-paw.

A grandfather's love is...unconditional.

4 comments:

  1. You're such a softie! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would experience this within your lifetime. You deserve that, though unable to give life with you beloved, you felt the special love. Take that with all your heart and love it for all it is, precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, again I say unto you, Amen. being a grandparent is wonderful, and I also marvel at how their young minds work.

    A power higher than I can fathom has designed a way for this to happen and for (most of) us to appreciate it and wonder at it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the time being, I'm willing to take your word for it!

    ReplyDelete