Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tweets and twangs

Just from the title (and those who know me or have followed this blog) I'm sure you can likely figure out where this is going to lead.

Although I don't have a Twitter account and likely never will, this ramble about Twitter is fully from the outside looking in. All I know about Twitter is what I hear on the news, radio and other social media and the internet. That means I don't follow anyone.

What I don't understand is the pull Twitter has on others. The problem with Twitter since it is limited to 140 characters is you can't speak to anything in-depth. Not everything can or should be limited to two or three sentences and either make sense or require further explanation. I'm not saying everyone should go out and blog but from what I hear of others, specifically the tweets from stars and upper-crust of society amounts to no more than things they must apologize for afterwards. You can't make very many thorough points in that short of space. What seems to be happening then is everyone is trying to deliver their best "one-liner" so followers will think they are funny or clever. That's when the apologies have to follow. "Oh, that's not what I meant, or "that was taken out of context". You can't take anything out of context if you only have 140 characters to work with. (This short post would require nine tweets to publish on Twitter).

For those reasons, Twitter will never be something I will voluntarily subscribe to. Besides, knowing when someone is going to the grocery store doesn't interest me either.

1 comment:

  1. All you need to know about Twitter is the first four letters of it's name.

    ReplyDelete