Saturday, May 12, 2012

Come on get happy

This is a post my esteemed brother Graybeard may or may not take offense to as he is employed in the wonderful world of the postal carrier's fantasy ensemble. Now, the post office is much maligned (often by me) but they get their fair share of good publicity as well. Nearly every year there is a story about a good Samaritan that helps someone truly in need. Unfortunately, those stories are too often overshadowed by the bad stories leaking out of postal abuse and misuse and general ineptitude, some deserving and some not.

A week or so ago I made a trip to the office near my work. As usual I was saddled with a long line and one person taking care of them with two "registers" closed and no one else around. This person had the look of death upon their face and one could tell they wished to be anywhere but where they were. Being in retail and customer service my entire adult life I can more than understand their feelings.

That being said, I think that is one of the biggest problems that is facing the post office in this country. No one wants to go there and a big reason is the lack of service in this service industry. Rarely do I find a smile or any other turn of the facial muscles from this group. I understand your job may at times be boring but if you actually put some effort into doing your tasks and interacting positively with your customers it might, just might make your job more tolerable. Over the years I think I could likely count on one hand the postal clerks that I would want to stand in front of to mail a letter.

If the postal service really wanted to begin to turn their image around in the public eye, perhaps they should place employees in their stations that enjoy working with people instead of someone who has the interactive capacity of a cardboard box. The paying public may then not dread using your service.

Just a thought......

1 comment:

  1. I have had a similar experience over the years. The post office is in the cardboard box handling industry. Maybe they don't understand that the goods and the poeple to not have to be of the same capacity.

    ReplyDelete