Sunday, June 15, 2014

My own friend

We had a short but interesting discussion at work yesterday. Could you be friends or very close friends with yourself? Imagine, you, a perfect copy of you, with all your debonair charm and every wart you possess. You know your passions, your hang-ups, your wit and style.

You meet yourself in a bar, or at work, or in church. Casually, you get to know each other. If you want to keep it simple, you don't have to look exactly like each other. You don't even have to look remotely close. Boil it down to everything else about you.

Now, after meeting each other and hanging out, you get to develop more than an acquaintance relationship. You begin to become bros...or whatever the female equivalent of that is. BFFs I would guess. Now, you take the big step, as your proximity to each other continues to grow, like every good relationship, each of you begin to let your personal guard down. The personal guard for most of us is your filter; what comes out of your mouth, whatever intelligent or inane thing that may happen to be.  I for one, wish some of those I knew, had a filter in the first place. Perhaps they misplaced it in the birth canal.

Anyway, you see where this is going. It's more of an intellectual question. I'm not asking anyone to change themselves in any way. You are who you are, smiles, failings and all. No one knows us quite like we know us. I for one have a difficult time determining if I would be that close to myself or not. It's not that I'm not the most wonderful person running around on the planet, it's just that I have a fairly sarcastic personality outside of the business world, and I might offend myself with too many off-hand comments meant to be funny. If I'm in the wrong mood, I may not think myself too funny. I might call myself a jackass behind my own back.

All in all, I think I could manage a friendship with myself. I do tend to be someone who has only a very small circle of friends, a few very close from days gone by. I just don't know if I'd be my own best friend. I'd probably talk to myself at a party though. I'm kinda funny, in an off-putting sort of way, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment