Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tinkers to Evers to Chance

As a young lad back in the day, baseball was my game. I played it in the back yard, in the driveway, on the street and yes, on a actual baseball diamond a few doors away. We lived three houses away from an elementary school that had an actual diamond. That's where I learned the rules and how to play the game.

When I arrived at high school, that was really the only sport I wanted to play. It had been infused into my being. North of 50 and I played many varieties of the sport, just the two of us. We threw rubber balls off the steps and played 'infield'. We played 'first bounce or fly' for hours at a time. We played simulated games where we took turns as pitcher and catcher in the driveway. Fortunately for us, we never broke a window in the garage. Father would have been highly 'PO'd'.

As life moved on and my throwing shoulder gave out, the game I grew up with fell into the background. It has become so 'back burner' there is no team I routinely follow. North's love of the hated Yankees was about the only thing that actually kept me 'in' the game at all.

With the beginnings of the baseball season, I have time for an experiment this week. My Beloved is out of town for a week and I control the remote. Bwahahahahahaha. I have decided that I will attempt to watch a baseball game every night to see if the interest can be re-kindled. With the advent of cable and the proliferation of sports, it should be easy to find a game every night. I won't even be picky about the teams, even though we all know American league baseball isn't real baseball.

Geesh, who bats for the pitcher anyway.... it's the bottom of the seventh...we'll see how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. Cuz---Did the same thing growing up. Played in the streets, the alley, the school yard, and Linden Park. My love of the game still burns brightly---and the Indians and Phillies are on as I write.
    Go see a Clippers game at Huntington Park. You'll love it.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still have not been to Huntington. It's on my list for this summer. I watched a classic pitchers duel tonight with Washington and Atlanta. Good game.

      Delete
    2. If you are so inclined, get on the Clippers web site, go to schedule, click on May 3 tickets. Use the interactive map. Go to section 22. There will be a few of your relatives sitting in Sec. 22, Row 1, seats 17, 18, 19, 20 for that game. If you're so inclined, get a ticket as close to us as possible. Jeff

      Delete
    3. I'll look at that with my work schedule. I do work all weekend.

      Delete
  2. M E T S Mets Mets Mets!!

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mets were my team back in the late sixties, a Dodgers boy before that. Then came the big red machine....

      Delete