Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Buckets and rims

Each year I enjoy the NCAA tournament and follow my bracket. If all goes well our beloved Buckeyes will advance up the ladder. We know it didn't happen this year, but I for one never expected it. They just aren't ready yet. Perhaps next year.

I do however wish I could watch good basketball. From the phrase those who can't do teach (for I am the poster child of white men can't jump) I am perplexed at the lack of ball knowledge displayed on the court. The games themselves are fun to watch but the skill level is abominable.

I blame the advent of the 3-pointer as the slippery slope that caused basketball to become nothing more than five guys playing one-on-one. 'Back in the day' there were things such as pressing, two point shots, three seconds, double-dribble (palming) and traveling. I can't remember the last time I saw a palming call or the like. Perhaps they changed the rules and I wasn't watching. I wish I had the athletic ability of those I watch but that is not the point.

There is currently a dead zone from the rim to the three point arc. You see either someone slamming the ball through or popping a shot from thirty. The art of the midrange jumper is lost. It's almost like players think a three second call is if you are inside the arc and not the lane. Pathetic. The 3-pointer is a low percentage shot and the best usually hit 35-40 percent. Unfortunately everyone thinks they can shoot it. They can't. I think scores would be higher if teams shot more deuces and less threes. I love an occasional three but every shot is now a three.

Big men have lost their art as well. I watch game after game where the only consistent shot made is a dunk. The techniques of the inside game are gone. There is no finesse or touch around the basket by today's centers. Most would rather go outside and shoot treys. Anyone who shoots either inside or out then just stands there watching the ball sail toward the goal. Everyone thinks they look great with their arm outstretched like MJ until the ball 'clunks' and the play is heading the other way. And that is in the middle of the first half. You don't get style points for missing a shot in the first half. Follow the shot, get the rebound and put it up or kick it out.

The coaches in my formative years would bench you if you threw half the bad passes I see during games. A cross-court pass was a death throw and with the athleticism of today's players it is sure to get picked off. Stupid pass by stupid players. Go help out and get to the ball.

There are bright spots in today's game. Players are more athletic and overall the potential skills are higher than in the past but many are premadonnas; they want to do it their way.

Learn the game; stay one more year to get better before moving on. You'll get your money then and probably a lot more. I don't begrudge anyone who is able to sign a great contract and take care of themselves and their families for the rest of their lives. But, don't strut around in front of the rest of us who are short and can't jump, it's just genetics, it's not my fault.

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree.

    At least you jumped higher than I did back then.

    ReplyDelete