Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flag Day thoughts

Today, June 14, is the commemoration of Flag Day, in which we specifically honor the flag of the United States of America. Various communities in the 19th Century held ceremonies to mark this observance, many of them on June 14, when the first, unofficial Flag Day was commemorated. It was not until 1949 that Congress officially designated June 14 as Flag Day.

I flew my flag today, and I fly it often. The location on the pillar of my front porch is such that it can be subjected to strong gusts of wind, so I do not normally fly the flag when winds are expected, as I do not want to find the flag on the ground, ripped from the bracket.

I am of an age to recall when days such as Flag Day were commemorated with ceremonies, although I have never attended one; my contribution to this observance has always been to fly the flag. The newspapers used to have stories on Flag Day and the following day, ones which told about the flag and the ceremonies. Nowadays, it is usually mentioned in passing, if at all.

I am also one who is not ashamed to say I still get chills upon hearing the National Anthem, America the Beautiful, The Battle Hymn of the Republic, and other patriotic songs. Quite often these songs bring tears to my eyes as I remember the lessons I was taught as a child about what freedom truly meant, and remembering those who fought and died for this country and the freedoms we still enjoy.


When those occasions arise, I also quietly give thanks to Beloved Father for his service in the U.S. Army during World War II.

Thank you, Dad, and every other member of the United States Armed Forces who proudly served this country in the past, as well as those who are doing so today. We would not be the nation we are if not for you.

1 comment:

  1. Here, here! The flag is not we are but a symbol of what we stand for as a people. We are not perfect but as long as we strive for the betterment of our nation I will always salute the flag and those who serve it's cause.

    ReplyDelete