Monday, March 8, 2010

It's Not Like It Is Real Money

In today's mail I received a pre-sorted first class rate piece of mail from my friendly local US government, specifically the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, U.S. Census Bureau.

It is even stamped OFFICIAL BUSINESS.

My first thought was, I know the census form this year is only 10 questions, but it still felt a bit light.

Much to my surprise, this was not the census form I was expecting. It was a letter that told me to expect the real census (excuse me, Census) form in the mail in about a week, and I should fill it out and mail it promptly because my response is "important".

With all of the advertisements in the papers, on the web, and over the air telling me the Census is on the way, not to mention the huge UNITED STATES 2010 Census signs in my office!), I would have hoped my friendly local US government agency would not spend goodness-knows how much money sending these letters to every household (or maybe they just sent them to wanting-smaller-gummint folks like myself.)

If they are going to waste money doing this, just what else are they willing to waste it on?

That was a rhetorical question, by the way.

4 comments:

  1. It might be rhetorical but you get an answer anyway. They waste it on nearly any jack*ss idea posed. Give me the budget and a sharpie, I'll balance it real quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I got one of those too! Very idiotic, but maybe they decided it would help the post office with their bottom line so they mailed it through them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe that will help keep Graybeard employed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We thought the same thing...A conspiracy to get the post office back in the black!

    ReplyDelete