Monday, May 2, 2011

A collective sigh

I hadn't actually planned to write about this subject today. I had something else on my mind, but the world can change quickly and sometimes irreparably.

Late in the night the president told the nation the news of bin laden's death. As the news traveled quickly it was obvious that many were filled with joy and the celebration began. I turned the news off and rolled over and went to sleep. Tomorrow would be another day.

Although I am removed from the direct results of 911 (anywhere near ground zero, the pentagon or PA) I am not immune to its effects. I take pride in this country and what we as a people have achieved. No, we're not perfect and will never be. I do not begrudge those who celebrated in the news, especially those directly affected. What I live with are the incidentals of the aftereffects. I took no comfort in his death.

Many will say it is a good day. Others will say it will only inspire the radicals to do more harm to the U.S. I say, it will cause no more danger than we previously faced. Radical elements are just that and will use any excuse to do harm to others. I don't think our situation will change in the least with bin laden's death. What may happen is those elements may splinter more but that doesn't mean they will be any less dangerous. Only time and stable governments in the Middle East will lead to those groups demise. That is something I don't see happening in the near future.

To those who celebrated I say enjoy yourself. A menace has been removed from the world and that in itself is something to be thankful about.

4 comments:

  1. Very well said. I didn't quite understand all the celebrations since it has been ten years, but also was not directly affected by 9/11. Terrorism has existed in some form since the beginning of mankind and will probably continue...at least until the world ends in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with my brother and my niece on this one, although the world cannot end next year, as I have an appointment in 2055 to celebrate the beginning of my mid-life crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently the world will not necessarily end in 2012 as the interpretation of the Mayan calendar is now in dispute. Perhaps the world has already ended and we just don't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to agree with those who think that we should never celebrate anyone's death, no matter how lousy a person we believe they are. I do, however, hope that the virgins meeting him in heaven are those gun-toting nuns! Having said that, they would only be meeting him to sharp shoot at him on his way to give the devil his due!

    ReplyDelete