Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Butt head

I'm free! Free at last!

Well, it's been a long time. Years ago, I was a smoker. I smoked for twenty-five years. It was odd that I started in that, although my parents were smokers, none of my siblings ever took up the habit. Yes, I was the black-sheep. Back then, in the before-times, my sainted parents were the norm. Nearly all my forty aunts and uncles were smokers as well. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Hell, it was the sixties and seventies.

Just recently as I was driving home from work, I was stopped beside a young lady who was smoking in her car. She pulled in deeply as we waited on the light. She held it, then slowly sent a pillow of white into the air. While, even after twelve years of freedom from this habit, I could still feel the smoke within my mouth. I thought, YUCK!

To be honest, I don't know how my Beloved put up with kissing me. She never said a word about it. She was never a smoker, but somehow she loved me enough to dismiss my awful habit. I am fortunate that I have my health and have beaten whatever effects this had on me. It took me over a year to finally quit. I tried three times before it took. I don't know how she put up with me, although I wasn't a heavy smoker, I think smokers would be off my list if I were a single man. (Though, that's never going to happen).

I know some still think smoking is manly, or even sexy or a cool thing to do, but ... YUCK!




3 comments:

  1. Kissing an ashtray? Ewwww! You struggled to quit, just like Sainted Mother. Sainted Father quit one day and that was it. Sainted Mother said that there were times, even to her dying days where she could cheerfully have killed for a cigarette. She also tried several times before she quit.

    ReplyDelete