Tuesday, June 4, 2019

NIght 5 - flight of the dragon

And that brings us to night five of my little short story, The Dragon and The Princess.

...a few more evenings to go...stay tuned...


     I settle in to this hall that my captors deem magical. It is to them a place of reverence, a towering chamber with soaring ceilings supported by buttresses that rise to a domed finale. The hall is illuminated even on this gray day by the massive windows filled with colored symbols of their history, a history that I deem is long in war. I lower my eyes as I have no desire to look upon their heritage.
     A single chime echoes and calls the attention to all gathered. The dais before me is not empty as is normally the case. She sits beside the throne curled up nearly in a ball. She is so small. I struggle to take my eyes from her as I hear the footfalls of the King of Whitehall shuffle across the dirty carpet as he emerges from the door behind the throne. Yet I am pulled away at last as my captor steps into the shadowed light and takes his place before the throne. His right hand firmly wrapped around his staff, he lowers himself and looks directly at my eyes. He commands all within this hall.
     He smiles his wicked smile, his white stringy hair falling to either side of his weathered face. He is old, far older than anyone of his lineage should be, all to my failings. My eyes search behind his chair and my sight claims my prize, that which has kept him alive through all the long years. Caged in its own prison it sits in the dull light, its bronze hue faded from the years, my prize, my egg, perhaps the last egg of a race of titans. It is only the magic held within that holds the king’s life force. I look back to the dais at the sound of his voice.
     “Nivä”.
     It is the first time I can recall the sound of my own name. I am surprised.
“We have a visitor.” He looks down to his left passing his arm above the dirty child. My heart again begins to falter as I take in her state. She is dirty, her blonde hair dull in the light of his cathedral, her feet bare. He returns his gaze to me. “I have a task for you this day. Journey to the West Country and tell me of the state of Jeshion Hall. Tell me that my enemy has fallen and the West Country now belongs to me. Tell me this princess has nothing to return to and she is my prize.” He lifts his arm and waves me away. “Go.”
     I lower my head at his command as I gently probe her thoughts before I turn away. She stares up at me with wide, blue eyes that shimmer even in the oppression of this place. She is not afraid of me though I sense hesitation, but there is an emotion I can not touch. I do not know of it. I narrow my gaze as I begin to turn away from the dais. In all my years I have no knowledge of this aspect of humanity. Perhaps it is because she is a child. Perhaps.
     As I make my way out of the palace it is a struggle as the passages are not made for one of my size though they have been adapted slightly. As I step through the last barrier and look to the gray clouds above I again feel the westerly wind across my face. Within seconds I am above the earthly plane putting as much distance between myself and my prison as I can. Free again I roll and dive among the currents as they lift me to the heavens. A dragon’s world is at home as much in the air as on the ground. As I look down the forests pass into mountains within the blink of an eye and those mountains to meadows once lush and vibrant, now trampled and flat from the roads of man.
     Even as I lament the failings of my race my thoughts begin to drift back to the young princess. This war has taken its toll on every living thing yet rarely have I thought about its mark on a child. Men make their own wars and are welcome to live and die by them. But what of the children? What is left for them to grow into? Who is left for them?
     My thoughts have taken me further than I believed and I am quickly above the Western fences. As I leave them behind I see that they are broken, hardly a barrier to be used in defense. As I look forward a dark pillar rises from the west where Jeshion Hall has stood for generations. The smoke rises directly up as an arrow for no breeze blows from the distant sea to alter its course. As with the fields of Whitehall the road to Jeshion is trampled and nearly dead. This war has left nearly nothing alive for either side.
     As I near the place of Jeshion the smell of battle assaults me even at this height. I see the fires burning, the fields stripped bare to the dirt itself. The black soot that rises from what is left of Jeshion Hall singes my nostrils and I must veer away. The ancient timbers within the stone walls burn, the fires dying as with everything else held within this land. The West Country is open to Whitehall, but there is little left of it. Such is the prize of war.


No comments:

Post a Comment