Thursday, June 6, 2019

Night 7 - The End

Tonight is the final 'stanza' of The Dragon and The Princess. I hope all who have followed along have enjoyed the story.

...The Dragon and The Princess...


     I jolt myself awake in the early hours as dawn begins to crack the world. My subconscious has spoken in the shadows of my dreams and revealed that which I failed to realize. The magic that has held me here is absent. It is gone. It is the emptiness I now feel. Perhaps the touch of my Lily has distracted me from knowing the truth. Am I wrong? I close my eyes tightly as I reach out to probe into the depths of Whitehall. My steps are hesitant as I begin to lose all hope. How long has my prize lay dormant? Surely I would have felt its absence before. And the king, he would certainly begin to lose hold of his life.
     My thoughts begin to explore the passages as I find my way down to the main hall. Whitehall is virtually empty as Sol begins to crest the edge of the world. I have not made this journey in decades. To do so was only be torture; to see my prize and not possess it. I as enter the hall I come to rest above my prize. The chamber is empty save for its cage. I look upon it with sadness as I feel no presence, no magics that should reside within. I close my eyes in my chamber as the tears begin to roll down my face. My prize is dead, the life it once possessed usurped by another. My world has crumbled.
     I feel the sadness begin to fade and it is quickly replaced by anger. My life has been nothing more than a wasted breath. I feel the heat begin to build within my soul for the first time almost in memory. It isn’t anger! It is rage! It is a burning desire to free myself from my prison, to roam the skies as only a dragon is able. It is what I am.
     I push myself back against the ancient stones and feel their coarseness against my back. It is a wall that has held me too long. I look above at the timbers that are my gate to the heavens. They will falter as the stones below them tumble to the ground. My surge is instant as the fire from my mouth shatters the stones across from me, the walls exploding as their bright red shards plummet to the ground. I kick once at the remaining stones and they fall away as easily as dead leaves in a windstorm. The sun bursts across the heavens at that instant as her light fills the world outside my opening with all the colors of the rainbow.
     Within the blink of an eye I am airborne, the soreness of my muscles a distant memory. I am free, free to escape to lands not thought of by this place, but I have one thought that pulls me back; Lily. I will not let her become captive as I have lived. My anger again builds as I turn back toward the towering spires of Whitehall. I see the fires below my turret spreading across the dry landscape as the flames lap at the outer walls. It is not dragon’s fire, but it will leave its mark, as will I.
     The air rushes past my fame as I bear down on the other towers. I vow they will not stand another day. A dragon’s fire that Whitehall has never seen surges from my throat and within minutes nearly everything that has held me against my will is in flames. From above I see the king’s men running in all directions. They look like ants. They are in chaos. I see the north tower topple falling inward upon the main hall opening a fissure through the roof. The red clay roof tiles fill the floor like sand, scattering in all directions as they hit the floor. I bring myself to a stop and as I look down into the hall I lock eyes with the king. He stands below me with his fists pushed upward, his staff in his right hand, yet he is powerless before me. He holds my prize no longer. I hear his voice challenge me before I begin to turn away.
     “Nivä! I will destroy your egg!” he bellows.
     “You have already accomplished that,” I yell in reply. “My prize is dead and soon you shall be as well! I will be your toy no longer!” I scream at him.
     I hear the anguish and rage in his voice. That which he holds so dear in his heart is in flames around him. He now commands nothing more than a burning mausoleum for it will be his grave, the magics he stole will end his life. He has only one thing left and I will now take that from him.
     I veer away and arc toward that tower that held me prisoner for it has one I shall not forsake. It is the only tower left standing on the corners of Whitehall yet its side is blistered with dragon’s fire. I see my child standing at the opening of her chamber. She is afraid; she is crying as her hands wrap around the stone sill. She lifts her arms in my direction and as I extend my thoughts she blinks in recognition. ‘Stand away’ I command her and she disappears from the opening. I dive into the stone letting my wing slash through the mortar as a knife through a carcass. The stones give way falling to the ground below. I turn and spy her as she runs to the opening. She is calling my name and it brings a smile to my face.
     I feel the updraft of the airs as the flames climb up the stone walls as I bring myself beside the opening. She is still afraid but she is strong. There is a strength within her I could never have imagined. My wing extended she touches me for the first time and I feel her skin upon my rough exterior. It is a softness I have never felt the like of and I feel her heart beating in unison with my own.
     I push away from the ancient stones that held us prisoner as we climb into the skies of a new day as sunlight fills the world with all its glory. I feel the touch of a child around my neck as we leave a world of torture and despair behind never again to look back upon, never again to return. There is one now who rides a dragon above the world, a rider that has not been seen in an age. She is a dragon rider, and we are free.

The End

thank you


No comments:

Post a Comment