Sunday, June 2, 2019

NIght three of a short story

Tonight I present the third 'stanza' of the short story The Dragon and The Princess. Each night is a new part of the story. Follow along until we reach the end.



     The dawn is now hours old. The gray skies that filled the heavens as Sol rose above the horizon have erased the singular joy I look forward to each morning. A dragon’s world is filled with light and color, waves of grandeur that paint the lofty heavens from corner to corner as the night works to fight back the day. A dragon’s world as it should be not what is left of it. To that end I await word of what has returned to Whitehall. My guards have let slip their morning routines as I have not seen nor heard their tread along the lower passes of my prison.
     As I begin to rise to look upon this colorless world the sound of footfalls below call to me. More than a routine visit in my opinion. As I strain I hear the heavy sounds of iron on iron, the lock of a rusting door turning, the mechanism old. The hinges now creak beneath the weight of the wooden planks. I can only speculate; our new guest will take up residence below me.
     I feel my heart beating with anticipation for perhaps the first time in a month of years. My pulse quickens for more than just an order from my captor. His mood swings, his flights of fancy control my destiny. His whims are my reality.
     Again I hear the creaking sound of rust as the door below slams shut and the clunk of metal echoes through the tower. Footsteps now retreat down the circular passage, their sounds fading into nothingness as I wait to hear what I may hear, but for now the silence pervades this ancient stone. I take a deep breath, the moist air that surrounds me like that of a cavern. I steady myself that I may attempt to reach below with my thoughts, a practice of my kind I have long ago abandoned in my prison.
     I hear a weak cry from below, a whimper unnatural within these walls. As I extend my thoughts I meet no resistance. Within this mind there are no words to hear, only utter sadness and fear, the thoughts childlike. It is depressing. Would that I could calm those fears yet I have no power to do so. Likely my deep voice would add nothing but panic to this child. I know nothing of her but her passage to Whitehall.
     “Hello...” My voice echoes within the tower louder than I would have imagined. My throat rebels at the vibration as it is some time since I have spoken aloud. My words filled the tower before I realized I had spoken. I am genuinely surprised by my near exuberance. I have not spoken to a human other than my captors in untold years. I choke back my eagerness as I listen for any reply. I am greeted with silence.
     A dragon’s hearing is superior to all living things. A sniffle calls to me as it has worked its way up through the stone chamber, again followed by silence. What would this child say to a voice from above, a voice that should surely frighten her?
     “Hello?”
     I recoil at the unexpected sound. Though I can tell by her voice she is terrified, it is the sweetest sound that has filled this tower in my lifetime. I feel my blood anew as it pulses through my veins, my senses open to my confined world. There is an anticipation building within. My life of utter loneliness is revealed to me with this one word.
     “Are you well my child? Are you unhurt?” It is all I manage to say. I feel my wings unconsciously fold around me as I await a reply. I can almost hear her tears falling down her face.
     “I’m afraid.”
     Her voice shakes. I can feel her emotions. They are overwhelming her.
     “What is your name my child?” My voice still sounds harsh. I inhale deeply trying to control my own emotions even though I have long been the prisoner within these walls.
     “Lily.”
     “Ah, such a pretty name.” I falter with what I should say as conversation has become nothing more than a memory.
     “I’m cold.”
     “Have you nothing to keep you warm?” I ask. My own skin has become so used to the pervading dampness. Her silence tells me she is struggling. My heart is filled with sadness for I can see no world where a child should suffer. I wish that I had something to offer. I sigh letting my breath fill the vault that encases me as an idea begins to form. I must be careful that no harm comes to her. I calm myself and feel the warmth growing within. It is temperamental, often a last resort of desperation, believed by men-folk to be only a weapon to be used against them. But it is more than that. It is a part of us, no different from an eye, yet it is so much more.
     My lips part slightly as I begin to exhale, without flame the warmth of my breath lay against the ancient stone as fog on a mountain valley, their dark color black no longer as they begin to turn a ruddy brown exposing the cracks in their facade. It is the heat, constant as I take in another breath and let the walls of my prison begin to feel the life force of a dragon. They begin to glow which is no threat to me, but I must be careful. She is but a chamber below and the walls should do her no harm. I feel the tower come alive with my breath. For the first time in a long time it is a breath that brings comfort. I feel the residual warmth now enveloping the room below. I lower my eye and stare blankly into the crevices I know so well. I am tired.



No comments:

Post a Comment