Saturday, June 22, 2019

No turning back

Tomorrow is a momentous day in my life; it's my birthday. Yea me! But it's a different one. Well, every one is a different one Robert, you say. True enough. But this one sticks out.

I've never been one to worry about how old I became. I actually still don't. It never bothered me when I hit my thirties, forties, fifties or even sixties. I know some people this really bothers. I have always joked that middle age is ten years older than whatever age I currently am. The flaw in that is, I'm guessing middle age isn't when one is seventy years old. At least I have outlived that joke.

I was born in the fifties, grew up in the wild sixties which was really the decade that changed much of America and continued into the next decades. That also means I've lived in two centuries, which really isn't all that common these days. I am now living one-hundred and one years after my father was born. That kind of makes your head spin. Although he has been gone now for several decades, I still remember him before his heart issues. That's generally now I remember my father.

So, what is this momentous day? Tomorrow I turn 61. Sixty years of age is now behind me. You'd think that would be more of a nerve-rattling number than 61. But for the first time I've come to the realization...there's no turning back.

Happy Birthday to me! I hope everyone else enjoys their day as I hope to enjoy mine. 60 didn't hurt so I'm guessing 61 won't either.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Bob! 69 and 70 have been hard to grasp for me. I, too, realize there is no turning back.Onward we go!

    ReplyDelete