Friday, March 29, 2013

Persona

How do you live your life? What kind of image do you project? What kind of image do you THINK you project? I think it's interesting how we all see ourselves, or would like to see ourselves. Yet, how does your persona change?

Say what? I'll say it again another way. Does your persona change based on where you are? Does it change depending on the group of people you are around? I like to think of myself as a fairly laid-back kind of person. I'm usually quick with a harmless joke around friends and family. In that arena one is normally more their own self than in other places. That is assuming strong family ties. Most can let their hair down around the house.

Most people at work likely tend to be a little more reserved, especially if one is a leader or a supervisor in charge of others. I tend to be that way as I manage many others in a retail environment. It's not that I'm a hard-headed jerk who is hell-bent on enforcing every rule in the book. I like to have a good time on the job as long as the job gets done. That's what we get paid for afterall.

This week we have a newer associate who has been in the fold for less than two weeks. She is more in my age range which is something of a rarity. Most are usually several decades my junior. Perhaps that is why I was startled when after a brief exchange about something, my new employee said,

                                                             "oh, so you're Gibbs".

Not sure if I should be insulted or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment